Monday, February 7, 2011

Journey Back to Israel - 2.07.2011

February 07, 2011

So I’m on the plane. My first real adventure as a young adult. Although I don’t know if I qualify as a young adult anymore since I am almost 27 years old. I’m kind of out of that "box" now (ya know, 18 - 25 box... now I'm in the 26 - 30 box)...

Anyway, having never truly written a blog before I’m pretty sure I’m going to be pretty irrelevant most times I write. So, my apologies in advance if I'm all over the place. But hey, it’s my blog. Haha… blog.

Getting to this point has already been quite a journey, and TODAY my official journey begins.

When I got back from Israel the first time, I was definitely on a high. Traveling around another country, meeting Israeli’s my age, talking to other Americans about Jewish identity, it was all new and very fascinating. Now, being that I’m not religious and had really never talked with others about Judaism, my eyes were open to ideas and an awareness that Judaism was not really all about religion, but also about an amazing culture and a long history – like, a REALLY long history. A history that I want to pass down to my kids, keep alive in my life. So, you could say last July a new part of me woke up and felt something significant.

Now, that leads to the email. Tikkun Olam was just one of many organizations to track me down and inform me of opportunities to go back to Israel. Study, live, volunteer! That definitely peaked my interest. After long thought, I decided to go for it. Apply. Why not? Sure, there was plenty to think about. I have a perfectly well paying bartending job, my photography passion keeps me happy, I now sing in this incredible rock band that’s making small moves to some BIG things, and I live in the best city ever with amazing friends and a family that’s close by.

But, when it comes down to it, I figured these things will most likely be here when I get back. Why miss out on an opportunity to live abroad and dedicate a small chunk of my life to helping others in need. I am obviously not getting any younger – remember, I’m not even in the “early 20”s” box anymore.

Saving money was probably the most important part of getting prepared to travel. After living in SF for 8 years, I had for the most part lived pay check to pay check. For the first time in my life, I started disciplining my spending routine. First step? Move home with Mom and Dad. I’m pretty sure at first my parents were thinking, “Uh, crap, we got ourselves a boomerang kid.” I mean, my dad spends countless amount of money for me to have straight teeth, a roof over my head, and a college education for me to move to Israel for five months and skirt my adult responsibilities? But as it turns out, my folks rarely saw me. Everything for me was in the city; my job, my band, my friends. I would be home for a total of 2 days a week, so it became kind of an inside joke. Saving money was slightly easier with no rent and I definitely
learned to quit eating out as much.

I for sure couldn’t have saved as much if it weren’t for friends and family who donated to my desperate ass, or who hired me as a photographer, or who bought my fine art. That’s really an incredible part of this whole journey thus far. Finding out who is genuine and valuable in my life. When you live somewhere for so long you make so many friends along the way, and these last couple of months has really shined some light on who is, for example, a Facebook friend, and REALLY a friend.

Which makes me a little sad now that I am sitting on this plane to London for an awesome 8 hour layover, and realizing I’m moving away for a very small but substantial amount of time for the first time EVER!

I don’t know what adventures await me. I’m nervous, thrilled, and excited. After all the preparation these last five months (and, believe me, I only touched on a couple things in this blog), I think I’m READY.

So stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Alex !
    Wassup since this long time? Still No Facebook for me....so it's difficult to get some news from you!! Anthony gave me your blog's Adress....really cool trip....If you think you'll come in France tell us and come on !
    Good Luck lil'עלמה
    Kisses
    See ya

    Monster Joe

    ReplyDelete